Skip to main content

Give Me a Break


Oh wait, I am taking one. I am not a person who has a problem saying, No! Not to other people. On the other hand, I find many a project for myself. Did I really need to add knitting? No! No, I did not. But I tell you, I have met the most wonderful people, and wrapped my hands in the most wonderful yarns... I really am glad I'm A Knitter.

But actually, I am taking a break from EVERYTHING. Tomorrow, I am having surgery. If you know me personally, you probably think I work this into every conversation possible, lately. It's not that I want to talk about it, but my fear and horror compels me to bring it up ad nauseum. Oh, it's minor; minor. It's oral surgery. But the dentist... I think there's no more appropriate horror film poster than
this one. With all these human cells that miraculously regenerate, why not teeth!???

My wonderful husband has taken a couple of days off of work to man the house. (No pun intended.) BFJ can cook, clean, do laundry, read stories, the works. And I don't mean frozen-pizza-and-pbjs cook. I know, I am a lucky girl; I make him hats and quilts to compensate him. (This is not to say that he has never shrunk a dress I borrowed from a friend, but I am not going to have to hire a nanny. Although, Nana is also coming for the day.) So I plan on being a big baby for the next four days, and you may not hear from me. And I have not posted lately because I have been trying to get all my October Things done in one week, so that I can spend the rest of the month crying on the couch and reading and watching HGTV. But hopefully I won't have to. And if you're a pray-er, I would be happy for your prayers. I really do not want to go tomorrow. In fact, if you have a time machine, I would also be happy to skip ahead a few days. Or at least 15 hours. I think BFJ knows how freaked out I am; he is ignoring my lack of housekeeping. Or maybe he knows that, while I'm out of it, he can do everything his way.

Before I go, a few more things:



  • I still haven't gotten a picture of the second hat on the model. One of these days.


  • We had a killing frost over the weekend. Luckily, I went out in the rainy sleet and stripped my pepper and tomato plants JUST before they froze, and have a nice little harvest. I was just hoping everything would last for Picture Day, and it did. We had little ears of corn that Speed had planted. Maybe next year, we won't plant it under the tree! I dug up my basil and rosemary. Somehow, I just cannot keep basil alive in a pot.


  • And now I can dream about next year's garden.


  • And I joind the Holiday KALCAL. And you can, too! but only til October 31, so go now.


Okay, that's all for now.

Oh, one more thing. I forgot to post about what I sent Candace, and I think I said I would. But she said she's going to blog about it, so read her blog while I'm out!

Comments

  1. Loads of prayers, sympathies and good wishes coming your way from the ultimate dental-phobe! I can SO identify with your reluctance.

    Hope your recovery is uneventful and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your surgery be quick and painless and your recovery easy and relaxing. I understand the fear of the dentist -- it makes me a little more okay with the fact I don't have insurance (oh darn, can't afford to go...) Make sure my brother takes good care of you and lets you have lots of naps. I'm convinced there is nothing a little afternoon nap can't cure. All my best wishes, prayers, and love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending a big cyber-hug your way, Karen! I'm sure you will need lots! And thanks again for the notecards - I just love them! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that all went well with your dental surgery and that you are on the mend soon... (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -