Skip to main content

Change & Transition

Wow, I did not even post once a month, last year.  At the close of 2015, I was trying to wrap up some Christmas knitting - didn't happen, some commissioned knitting - didn't happen.  I usually have the Christmas tree down before New Year's...  Took two weeks before that happened.  I feel like I am just getting back on my feet after the holidays.  Those few days between New Year's and school starting up again leave me feeling like I am standing in a queue, waiting for Routine to kick in again.  So finally, I feel like we've pushed past the beginning of the year! 

One thing I did manage to finish is the 115 in 2015 photo challenge on Flickr.  Finally.  Only took me four years to get one of those lists done!  You can check out my whole set here.  I do not love them all; I struggled with Addiction - ha, that's funny.  I had something specific in mind, but it seemed kind of weird to find someone that I could photograph with an addiction, and talk them into letting me take some pictures of that.  I hate the row of clunky, garish machines.  So honestly, there are a few that don't really reflect my aesthetic as an artist, but I wanted to challenge myself, and I did.  Here are a couple I do really like:






On a different note, the local yarn shop where I learned to knit, made lots of friends, and have been teaching for a few years, is going out of business.  It is sad.  It's very sad for my community, and for my friend that owns the shop, and it is sad for me.  But I will be alright.  This will change my schedule, and the frame around how I think of knitting (which patterns I write, which projects I start) but I am planning to hold onto the holes this change creates, and not let them get filled back in with Busy. 

I have some new opportunities in photography; recently, I licensed several of my photographs, including the fence post above, to be used for greeting cards!  I'm just getting my feet wet with that, so don't have a lot to share just yet.   

I am working on some new knitting designs...  I will let you know what develops!  I am REALLY looking forward to my gardening.  First seeds to be planted in February, so now is the time to make sure we have what we need for the first round.  I read an interesting little article on planting corn in "hills" so maybe... just maybe.  

So til next time, what do you like about the new year??  


Comments

  1. It's SO nice to see you posting again -- I sure hope it will be more regular this year. I'm so sorry to hear about your LYS - I know how much it must've meant to you.

    And your photos! They're gorgeous -- as always! Addiction would have been easy for me -- just look around -- everyone on a cell phone LOL. I think my favorite of yours is Up on a Roof (I think you called it that) -- just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are amazing yet again. Keep sharing them. Love them. Will miss Knit Knack as well. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -