Skip to main content

Things I Knit: Margin

I've been meaning to post a lot more about my knitting projects, but it always seems like I have too much or not enough to say.  So today's the day!

If you know me at all, you know I LOVE knitting.  I like it so much, it might be a problem.  I wash the dishes so I can use the sink to soak finished pieces; I do the laundry so I can have towels to block my projects on.  I clean the house so I can find all the yarn I've left various places!  I found my Thing in life; that Thing that makes me feel like I was born to do something specific.  I definitely knew it was not science!  I'm good at a lot of things, and I know not everyone can say that.  But for me, knitting is the thing that I'm great at, that flows with little effort and lots of joy.

Along with personal fulfillment, knitting has opened up a world of opportunities for me - meeting people, making money in several ways (teaching, test knitting, contract knitting), expanding my photography, and travel!  I started writing my own patterns almost immediately but have had mixed advice on whether to publish and where.  Along the way, I have had the good fortune to build friendships with some lovely ladies related to my local yarn shop, and Windy Valley Muskox, among others, and the opportunities to publish my patterns opened up.  

Okay, I can see I'm getting very short-story-long, here; let's cut to the case!  I recently published Margin, a shawl pattern for Windy Valley.





I absolutely love this shawl, I was sad to leave it with Dianne at WV when I left the show in August, but I suppose I could always knit another one!

I set up a shoot with one of my favorite models, and we got some great pictures including these:




This pattern grew from a concept my dad mentioned to me in the past year, about having margins - that is, space for life to grow - for friends to show up unexpectedly or to take care of yourself when problems arise.  Or for God to show me things I might otherwise be too busy for.  To notice that my boys are growing so fast.  To savor the beauty.  This is something that I also find in my photography, although sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry trying to find it.  Writing this pattern was an exercise, a reminder, to stop, to listen, to look, to breathe it in.

ETA Feb 2015:  Several people have asked about this pattern (I'm thrilled!)  It should be available at the Windy Valley website but as of this writing, that website is a bit under construction.  If you would like the pattern, you can write directly to Dianne at dianne@windyvalleymuskox.com, or if you happen to be going to Stitches, you will be able to buy it in the booth, along with the yarn.  

Comments

  1. It's BEAUTIFUL Karen! I love the pretty colors too. Annnd -- I LOVE knitting too. It used to be just another crafty thing that I enjoyed, but as I get older, I'm finding it to be so much more than that. I think it's wonderful that you've found so many opportunities through knitting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been out of the loop for a while and now I see you are writing patterns! Good for you! I wish you much success! That shawl is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very interesting shawl....but I can't seem to find the pattern anywhere. I would love to buy it!! Headed to Stitches West in a few days so I could pick up some Windy Valley Muskox yarn. I don't see the pattern on their website either - or Ravelry. Hope it is available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn, I'm sorry that you're having trouble finding the pattern. You will definitely be able to buy it at the Windy Valley booth at Stitches West! If you need more info, you can comment again or write me at karenzeph@aol.com, be sure to include your email address. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -