Skip to main content

7 Herbs I Love to Grow

I have learned my lesson.  After months of keeping finicky plants alive only to find out no one in my family likes it, our plants now have to pass a multi-use test!  Herbs, on the other hand, are just plain lovely to have around, although I like them to be multi-talented, too.  Here are my top seven (in alphabetical order), and why I grow them.

 BASIL : Honestly, I love this one just for the scent!  But then there's pesto.  If I did nothing else but make pesto, we still could grow more basil.  We also use it fresh in pasta and in marinara sauce.  Beware, it needs constant picking.  







CHIVES : Let's start with, the bees love chives.  The flowers are lovely and are constantly visited by pollinators.  As far as culinary uses, we put it in Lime Chive Butter (great on corn), as well as in mashed potatoes, breakfast casserole, and when I roast whole chicken.  





DILL :  We need it for pickles, and it can be difficult to buy a handful of dill stalks.  I also put it in potato salad.  I love the smell, too; it's very aromatic if you brush by, and it just smells like summer.  
PARSLEY : Easy to grow, very hardy, still growing around here well into the cold season.  Our corn chowder, and mac n cheese, just would not be the same without it.  And we feed it to our lizard!  



ROSEMARY : Well, rosemary is really only a two-trick pony but considering it does not take up much space, it is worth the money.  It goes in a chicken dish everyone loves and mmmmmm focaccia.  





SAGE : I've told you about my sage before.  Like many of these little green darlings, it's just so nice in the garden.  Last year, I neglected to cut it back early and had some beautiful blooms, but this year it's already got a crew cut.  But to round out my description here, we put it mostly in scallop potatoes.  YUM.  



THYME : We have lemon thyme and common culinary thyme.  This year, I pulled up the common thyme plant, which is in the way of my new garden path.  I chopped it into several pieces, and planted it in a few new places.  It's a great ground cover, aromatic, and we put it in things like mac n cheese and roasted chicken.  The lemon thyme smells wonderful to crush in your hands.

We also have grown oregano - I'm still pulling that out every year, and mint - which I like in my tea but it only gets to visit in pots.

So tell me, what is your must-have herb or garden item?  

Comments

  1. It's very fun to see your list of must haves! I grow sage, parsley, chives, rosemary, basil and tarragon. Well, I used to have tarragon, but I'm thinking someone pulled it thinking it was a weed, so will have to plant it again. In reality, I only use the chives (ALLL the time -- my very favorite) and parsley (which is hard to grow here for some reason, so I struggle with it -- rabbits maybe?) the others are so rarely used I often wonder if I should get rid of them. But, as you said, they just look pretty in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! Lots of fresh herbs in your meals, plus so fun to watch them growing! Our rabbits and deer love all things green, but I may try to grow some myself - may have to do it inside! Thanks for sharing - happy gardening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos and your choices. I always have basil, rosemary, and lavender. I also make pesto every year and freeze it in ice cube size amounts. The rosemary adds so much to potatoes, especially roasted with other veggies. And chicken of course. Lavender can be used in ice tea, but mostly just love the beauty of the plant and of course the awesome fragrance. Cant wait for the snow to finally stop and get out there and plant. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -