Skip to main content

handspun swoncho







When I started working for Windy Valley Muskox, I had the pleasure of traveling with and getting to know the owner, Dianne.  She is a fantastic spinner!  Originally, we were introduced through some of my knitting friends who are part of her family.  I started out with WVM designing a pattern.  Once Dianne saw my finished pattern with modeled shots, she hired me to reshoot several patterns, and eventually I shot all of her product photos, provided pattern support, and went to several trade shows.  Traveling together to yarn shows, we became friends.  

At one of the yarn shows, we discovered the Glenfiddich Wool Swoncho in the booth across from ours, and thought it was really cute.  One size, easily modified, it looked great on everyone who tried it on.  Later that summer, I was visiting Dianne's ranch, and she gave me a bag of her handspun yarns to knit with.  She can knit, but doesn't spend as much time on it as I do; I will never be able to spin like her, though she has given me a lesson or two!  We agreed that, at some point, I would knit a swoncho for her, and she would spin some yarn for me.  Years went by, Dianne sold the business, and we lost touch somewhat.  

Fast forward a few years to this past summer, and I was telling someone about the yarn and pattern.  Inspired, I dug up the pattern and yarn from among my many projects.  Many knitters have told me they don't use their special yarns because they're afraid to ruin it.  Here I was, doing the same thing, and I realized that the yarn was sitting, being of no use.  Reading through the pattern, I thought the worst that can happen is I end up ripping it out.  Seems like a small risk when on the other hand, I could end up with something really beautiful!  I laid the yarn out and got started.  After a couple of weeks, I had this wonderful swoncho!

Dianne was in town to see family for Thanksgiving and I had the opportunity to stop by and surprise her with the finished swoncho, all these years later.  It looks pretty terrific on her - she loved it.  (Although I had to try it on before I gave it away.  You understand, right?!  Thanks to my middle son, who snapped some shots for me.) 


What's a swoncho?  Simple; it's a poncho with sleeves - a sweater-poncho. 

 the front? 


Most of the ribbing is Dianne's qiviut/silk - SO lucious!!   

Do you have a precious skein, yard of fabric, vial of beads that you're holding on to?  What are you saving it for?

Comments

  1. Oh wow, I LOVE that pattern and yarn! I need to go and find me a swoncho pattern, and yes I have lots of beautiful skeins that I just can't use quite yet :) someday tho.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -