Friday, October 16, 2015

Fall Baking :: Challah

I don't know if it's the fall weather, or the episodes of The Great British Baking Show that I've been watching, but I've been on a baking streak.  I may start saying "that's lovely" with sincerity, and "proved" instead of "proofed."

On Wednesday, I made a challah loaf, my first!  Not my first bread.  I was afraid I would have a problem with the yeast; I believe that happened last time I made bread (not recent.)  It was fine though; I think I'm more patient than I used to be.  Maybe?  I'm working on that.  The loaf turned out very well, although I was stumped a bit on rolling the ropes - fat in the middle, skinny ends, I now know.  I used a recipe from the Kitchn, here.  Easy as pie. Er, bread.

the dough is "proved," in my grandmother's bowl

four-strand braid

not quite enough egg wash, but a lovely brown nonetheless


It was a huge hit!  It was asked for until it was gone - two days.  We will be having this again.  Now after watching the GBBS, having no time limit, I'm curious to try rye bread.  Will let you know!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Your bread turned out lovely. Good (and yummy) job!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow Karen -- that bread looks amazing!

Nana said...

Yum! Not sure what makes challah bread challah bread, but it looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and yummy I bet. The British Baking Show is one of my husband's favorites. I told him he is just torturing himself watching it but he insists anyway. Cheryl