Skip to main content

designing knitting patterns, and working on new one

In case you've ever wondered what drives me...  

Almost from the time I began knitting, I've been putting my own twist on projects.  I was reading knitting blogs and joined Ravelry before I was a knitter, so I was already seeing that knitters modified patterns to suit them before I could do it myself.  In fact, this is one of the things that drew me most to knitting - being able to make the sweater I want in the color I want.  In my observation over the past seven years, I see that many knitters make small modifications to patterns based on their own needs - making the sleeves longer or shorter; adding or omitting pockets; using a cast on, decrease or buttonhole that they prefer.  I came into this thinking that was part of the fun - being able to make it my own.  The first pattern I ever wrote and published was a cabled hat, Glacier.  I may go back and edit that pattern, now that I've learned a few more tricks!  But at the beginning, I just wanted to join in the fun.  

Now I'm more invested in the yarn business and I have other reasons to design, but basically, they fall into three categories (in no particular order):  
  ~ I can't find anything like what I am thinking of in my head / has been requested of me; sometimes just down to finding the appropriate gauge. 
  ~ I write patterns for Windy Valley Muskox, specifically for their gauge and fiber - which is not always like other fibers. 
  ~ I teach knitting at my local yarn shop, and sometimes I can't find a pattern that addresses the specific technique I'm trying to teach and / or taking into account the questions my students have. 

A lot of designers write patterns because they own a yarn company or store, or simply because it's their job.  Luckily, that's just not where I'm at.  I've got the best full-time job a girl could ever ask for (wife and mom).  If you're a wife or mom, you know sometimes that means a lot of work and not a lot of credit.  When I discovered knitting, it was The Thing that flowed from me with little effort, and I love this piece of my life that is gratifying on a personal level; you might even say selfish.  When I set off on this adventure, I was desperately in need of some adult time, of something that was my own, of being Karen instead of so-and-so's mom.  So to me, making money doing something I love is the cherry on top of life's sundae, that has allowed me to connect with other artists, explore the world, and help with the household budget.  

Okay.  All that being said, I am working on publishing a new pattern, it's a cabled hat for my beginner cabling class.  There are simple patterns out there, but I went to some effort to make sure this has some comprehensive information.  Hopefully it will at least be a jumping-off point for all the knitters I help!

A few details:
Name - Three-Grain cabled hat
Yarn - worsted weight (original sample in Malabrigo Worsted, Chapel Stone)
Sizes - S  (M, L) to fit head size 20 (22, 24)” / 51 (56, 61) cm.
More info on Ravelry here.



I have a couple of test knitters that are not quite finished, so the pattern has not been published online, but should be shortly.  I will be knitting this again for myself, only with a tubular cast-on - one of my favorites.  I did not use that for the original because I don't have time to teach that in my class, and it's not a cast on class, it's a cabling class.  Mine will be red, of course!






Comments

  1. Very pretty Karen -- I LOVE cables! Interesting post too -- it's fun to read why you love what you do. I could sure use you here this week -- I'm trying to do jogless stripes and they just aren't turning out very, um, jogless. I just want to give up and let the jog be the jog LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Random Review Friday: Knitting Boutiques

There are dozens of places to buy fabric and yarn these days - big craft chain stores, online, and the little boutiques. You can even recycle yarn and fabric by shopping at your local second-hand store. While I love the selection of shopping online, nothing beats the welcome of a friendly face, someone who can help you find just what you are looking for. I know where there are a few wonderful quilt shops, but being a new knitter, I haven't been to many yarn boutiques. I have begun to find that there are several in the Denver Metro area. Here are a few fun stops from the northwest area of town: Knit Knack 7505 Grandview Ave, Arvada , CO 80002 I first met Marly here, and this is our usual spot to meet up for picture days . Talk about great first impressions; this is the first knitting boutique I'd ever been to, and boy is it a good one! Owner Gerri has been a "capital K" Knitter for at least ten years. Gerri carries lots of Cascade, Berroco , and Classic Elite yarns, ...