Skip to main content

Projects


I have been working on lots of projects!
After seeing one of the baskets, someone at the knitting store asked if I could make some knitting needle cases. I can! It is so fun making these little projects; fun to use up my stash and all these great fabrics I've been collecting. It is nice to see them turn into something. I did buy the sock monkey fabric just for this project, but it is the only new fabric I've bought for these. I've made more baskets, too. I am going to some craft/cookie/gift exchanges in December and I know these are going to come in handy at some point. As I may have said before, these little baskets are great for using up scraps that you just couldn't toss.



Last year, I was inspired by Erin's posts* on handmade gifts and am making a lot more this year. (Don't worry, not everyone is getting a hat!) I have a little list of projects I can work on over the next month. I am happy to report that I revisited the gift that went horribly wrong, and the second version turned out much better! You'll have to wait til after Christmas for a picture.

With all this work going on, I have had to set up a permanent work station, as opposed to the kitchen table, which is used for practically every meal. I rearranged some things in the laundry room downstairs. It is a cold, cement room with less than ideal lighting, but it is nice to have my own spot. And especially nice to be able to leave the sewing machine out. I know it is ready at a moment's notice. At times it is kind of dungeon-y, but Christmas music adds a little warmth.

AND! My aunt wrote asking if I needed a zoom lens; she knew someone who was getting rid of it, and she thought it would fit my camera. I was happy to accept it. My camera came with a 25mm - 75mm lens, and this "new" one is 75mm - 300mm. I am excited to use it, although I haven't found a need for it yet; this chilly weather has kept me close to my subjects the last few days. But who knows when I'll need it, and I'll be ready!

*I tried to link to Erin's posts but had a problem so here's what you do: click on House on Hill Road in my list of blogs, go to archives and look at January 2008. It's worth your time to see the blown glass ornaments her girls made for her!

Comments

  1. Such a cute sock monkey roll! I also love the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that you can use up some fabric for those baskets--never thought about them for knitting needles, but hey, it works!

    I think you need to string up some Christmas lights in your little dungeon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basement space is great! I like the Christmas lights idea. Also, you can get a candle cooker and make it smell wonderful! But be careful leaving the boys alone upstairs for too long! LOL! Love your bag. I really need to make one or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen - been out of "internet-touch" for 4 days - just catching up! I love the monkey rolls....I know a ton of knitters who would love one - have you thought of going into the pattern making biz - you would be great! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the holiday season, maybe you can warm up that area in the basement with some paint & lighting and have a real work area. It would be fun planning it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -