Skip to main content

Christmastime is Here

Personally, I enjoyed the cool morning, with my newly finished, hand knit sweater, and a stack of packages waiting to be sifted through, presents waiting to be wrapped. 

IMG_4159

We usually make some of our preserves into smaller jars to give as gifts at Christmastime.  It is the perfect gift for a teacher or neighbor - consumable, not expensive enough to warrant any strong obligations, and yet very personal; not something we just ran out and got.  In addition to the preserves, this year I was inspired by this post to try my hand with vanilla extract.  In May, I purchased a pound of organic vanilla beans and split them with a friend (I think they came out to about fifty cents a piece), and bought some vodka.  Then some more, then some more.  I filled up five quart jars with Fleischmann's Royal Vodka, chopped the ends off of eight beans (per jar), split them lengthwise, and put them in the jars.  We gave the jars a little tip or shake every day for a month, and then continued to do so every now and then as the thought occurred. I read you're supposed to put extract in amber jars but we didn't have any amber quart jars; we did keep them in a very dark pantry.  I also used a few beans here and there in some of our preserves and other recipes!

Day 1
1546  vanilla extract, day 1

After a few months, I decided I should try this vanilla, make sure it tastes like the store-bought vanilla (that's the standard, isn't it?).  I tried the store-bought vanilla - just a sip, almost choked!  So I figured if that's what I've been putting in my cookies all these years, I don't have a very high standard to meet!  Anyway, when we ran out of our store-bought vanilla, it had been the recommended six months of steeping, so we've been using the "homemade" stuff ever since.  Is it better?  I don't know, but I sure put a lot of thought into it.  I mean, of course it is! Tastes as great as ever.

I purchased two dozen two-ounce amber bottles from Specialty Bottle, and poured the liquid through a clean cloth to sift out the debris, and filled up my little brown bottles.  Now we have lots of little gifts to give!

By my calculations, this is Day 191. 

4131 vanilla extract, day... 191?


Thank goodness I do a little planning ahead every now and then, so I don't have to do everything at the last minute!

Comments

  1. You are so inspiring! You have got me in the decorating mood! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so intrigued with the varied projects you tackle - none of the typical stuff! So, is the vanilla "done"? Exciting and very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments! The vanilla is "done" but I have more quarts than will fit in the 2-oz jars, so will continue to let some steep until needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Karen! I've always wanted to try it, but never taken the time. Store bought vanilla is awful. I did a little smell test one day between store bought vanilla and the expensive vanilla and you wouldn't believe the difference -- the store bought stuff smells rancid (and it was new.) I've been told homemade is fresh and new like the expensive stuff. Have you seen the adorable free labels for homemade vanilla on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try this for some time but haven't found a place to purchase vanilla beans. Where did you get yours? Can you use just any vodka? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that first picture! That vanilla looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Karen! I am totally spoiled by it now! A friend of mine has been making and sending it to me for several years!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -