Skip to main content

late August activities

Ah, August in Colorado; that perfect blend of summer-into-fall.  Some days ripe for watergun fights, some for knitting and sweaters.  Fresh veggies and fruits from the garden, ready for pickling, grilling, eating from the vine.  

This morning, my oldest son and I went to the farm where we get eggs; we've also been helping in the garden, mostly weeding, in trade for vegetables.  They've got greener thumbs and much more room than we do, though we do still have a little garden.  We came home with basil for pesto, cucumbers and onions for pickles, fresh eggs and zucchini for zucchini bread.  Since I'm doing pickles, I might as well do apple butter, so we stopped and got organic apples at the store.  I was happy to find golden beets again, so we'll be having grilled vegetables with our chicken and pesto tonight.  It's a rare day that I don't knit, but today other things need to be put in jars before summer is gone.  


It's Wednesday, and that means I'm home (instead of teaching at the yarn shop), and we have a little more time for dinner, and discussions, and Face Off.  And everyone asks for extra pesto.  Meals that we all find delicious are not that common!  

We will probably find a little time to read more from Huck Finn.  We've got to rescue him from the previous chapter!  

I don't know if it's getting older, or if some of my later-in-life hobbies (gardening, knitting, photography) have changed the way I feel about each month, but this has been a good month.  If I remember, I'll post pictures tomorrow of what we accomplished today.  

Comments

  1. Sounds like a PERFECT day! I love that you're reading Huck Finn -- I miss those read-a-loud days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my kind of day. Includes all the things we love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Random Review Friday: Knitting Boutiques

There are dozens of places to buy fabric and yarn these days - big craft chain stores, online, and the little boutiques. You can even recycle yarn and fabric by shopping at your local second-hand store. While I love the selection of shopping online, nothing beats the welcome of a friendly face, someone who can help you find just what you are looking for. I know where there are a few wonderful quilt shops, but being a new knitter, I haven't been to many yarn boutiques. I have begun to find that there are several in the Denver Metro area. Here are a few fun stops from the northwest area of town: Knit Knack 7505 Grandview Ave, Arvada , CO 80002 I first met Marly here, and this is our usual spot to meet up for picture days . Talk about great first impressions; this is the first knitting boutique I'd ever been to, and boy is it a good one! Owner Gerri has been a "capital K" Knitter for at least ten years. Gerri carries lots of Cascade, Berroco , and Classic Elite yarns, ...