Skip to main content

Halligarth Shawl

The last knitting project I've finished is my Halligarth Shawl.  




I am in the process of writing several patterns, including a few shawls, and I thought how easy it would be to take something on a trip that was someone else's pattern.  You know, where the many details were decided, and all I had to select were the yarn, color and size.  I would not have to worry about keeping notes; so I dug this yarn out of my stash, which I'd had in mind for this pattern.  

Well being lace, it was not quite as easy-to-travel as I had planned, but it ended up being a great a lot of fun.  And I did not have to take notes.  Whenever I wear it, I will always be reminded of my trip to Seattle with my friend Gerri.  It is currently in the shop, luring in knitters looking for a new shawl or lace class, but I look forward to getting it back soon.  

Details
Designer:   Gudrun Johnston
Yarn:  Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal, about 810 yds
Color:  54007 Deep Rose (Red)



Just one mod(ification):  I worked one extra repeat, and therefore picked up a few more stitches along the edges, which allowed me to center an edge repeat on the point.  I had very little yardage left over but it wasn't really a close call, so I wasn't on the edge of my sit hoping I had enough.  It worked out pretty perfect!  



Comments

  1. Oh Wow Karen -- that's GORGEOUS! That must've taken you forever! I haven't made a shawl yet -- I'm afraid that they would take too long -- plus, I don't really know how to wear them -- Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing skill & patience! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Christmas knitting: slippers in 2020

I spent a couple of months this year on some Christmas presents, but as my family was all together at Thanksgiving, it was more fun to hand them out on Thanksgiving evening.  They were a big hit!   Last year, I made a couple pairs.  They turned out nice, but I realized they weren't going to be as quick as I'd hoped; I gave those to my mom and my aunt.  I worked the snowflake chart that came with the pattern on the first two pairs, but I didn't want to do it over and over again.  This year, I used my Pinterest board to find lots of inspiration for stranded knitting ideas.  Many snowflakes!  I wrote up a list of my people, what colors I thought they'd like, and an idea for the picture - and hunted down some shoe sizes!  The list made it a lot easier to keep track.  All the soles are different, too!  Eighteen pairs, and yes, I did block them all!  Project details  Basic pattern - Uppsala Slippers by Ram Wools Yarn Co-op Yarn...