Skip to main content

snowy day (a garden update of sorts) and a finished sweater

What a title, right?  Well, that's the way it is in Colorado.  We've had 70 degree days in the past two weeks, and then later (that afternoon) a blizzard comes through.  Makes it hard to work in the yard!  I know, though, that little bits of yard and garden work now will be well worth it - anything planted now, like grass seed and snap peas, will come up lush when the sun finally takes over for good.  It's a great chance to get a jump on the weeds, too, before the summer sun beats down.  

one of those March blizzards

Early this week, I spent a couple of hours cleaning up a couple of small beds and cutting back my sage, ornamental grass, and bee balm.  Wow, I guess I skipped a lot of gardening last year; my sage was a shambles.  Looking through the photos tagged "garden" makes me realize that my shed and garden fence both need some love.  April and May are the months to do that, while I'm itching to plant, but can't quite yet.  I'll let you know how that works out.  Here's a picture from a few years past, to remind myself it is worth the work:  



As for the knitting, like many of my Ravelry companions can attest, I've got too many projects on needles!  When I'm teaching, I'm often asked how many projects I've got on needles, and I can sometimes go through my project page on Ravelry and count for them...  "This one needs Finishing; this one, I'm writing; this one needs another skein of yarn; I'm not sure if I like this one..." etc.  A few months ago, I went through the "In Progress" set of my projects and marked some of them as "Hibernating" in order to feel a little less overwhelmed, and to admit to myself that I might never finish these projects.  I was reminded that I had a sweater that I'd begun in 2013 as a knit-along with a friend who was new to knitting, and a friend who likes help with sweaters.  Of course, I was far ahead for the body of the sweater.  However, once they got the hang of it and my attention shifted, they both surpassed me and I put it aside.  All it needed was sleeves!  And it would be nice to use those needles for something else.  As a bonus, between then and now, I've done a couple of sweaters with picked-up sleeves and decided to finish it that way.  


The yarn is scrumptious, and the shawl collar is cozy! But to be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to wear this color.  Ever.  And one sleeve does not match - same dye lot, but apparently different spots in the kettle.  I am thinking of overdying it, but not sure what color; I would hate to lose the cabling to dark yarn.  Have you ever dyed a finished knit??  

Comments

  1. My mother dyed a hand knit sweater that got put in the back window of a car and was sun bleached. The faded area didn't dye as dark as the rest of the sweater. Your knitting is fabulous. The sweater is well worth doing whatever it takes to make you want to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- that cabling is gorgeous! We need a full shot of the whole sweater LOL! I've never over-dyed a sweater -- ok, I've never dyed anything haha. Have you ever tried to shrink a sweater? I have one that's too big and I was thinking of washing it in hot water and putting it in the dryer for a little bit. Does that work? Would it go to far??? I'm chicken! Good luck with your dying!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -