Skip to main content

local history: Estes Park and the Stanleys

Estes Park has long been a favorite day-out excursion with friends and family, and although it can seem very touristy, there are lots of fun things to do.  Currently, my aunt (Aunt Banana) and uncle live there, and we spent the night at their house to have a little extra time to explore (and because we like hanging out with them!)   

We had never been to the famous Stanley Hotel, although it is a grand presence above the lake as we enter town from the east.  It is said to be haunted.  We walked up from our parking spot on the main strip to get a closer look at this lovely example of Georgian architecture.  Luckily, we encountered no ghosts.  



What a gorgeous staircase; we learned later that the four different balusters on each step were designed to represent the four seasons.  

What we didn't realize when we planned this trip was that the town of Estes Park is celebrating its 100th year this summer!  Aunt Banana called to ask if we would be interested in touring the home of F.O. Stanley - not the hotel, but his actual home.  This was definitely a unique opportunity, as the home is a private residence and not often open to the public.  In the last hundred years, in spite of the property belonging to two families after the Stanleys, there are a surprising number of original details still in the house, including floor plan, woodwork, front stair case, wall paper, bathroom fixtures, and some light fixtures (although they were originally gas.)  Other items that have been replaced still maintain period charm.  The staircase in the Stanley home was the precursor to the one in the hotel.  Unfortunately, the tour started in a side door and finished at another, and we never got a good glimpse of the front of the house, up close.  However, we did learn that the home and hotel exteriors were originally a mustard yellow!  


 original wallpaper, staircase, and light switches


original fixtures in the bathroom, including sink and tub

When we returned from the tour into town, we ran into none other than Mr. and Mrs. F.O. Stanley!  He commented to me about these crazy cars from the future.  I thought that was funny.  
It was fun to step back in time and learn a bit about what the Stanleys contributed to our state and society, from the hotel to the Stanley Steamer, photographic advancements, and his love of hand-crafting violins.  

Besides the Stanleys, we had a quick trip through Rocky Mountain National Park, where we saw some beautiful waterfalls, and lots of creatures.  It was a great day for the tour, and I may have found time for some sweater knitting.  



And of course we walked through town, and bought some taffy.

Comments

  1. I've never been there - never realized all there was to see. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. We'll have to plan a trip there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -