Skip to main content

still life & collections

I have been admiring the work of Luiz L. on Flickr, and decided I should do more still life.  What holds me back is that, while I have a lovely morning window, I don't have a surface or background that I find pleasing.  Not one nearby, or that would work for constant rearranging.  I love the warm tones of Luiz's table, and think perhaps this spring or summer I will have to build myself a little photo prop surface.  

In the meantime, I purchased a fancy piece of paper at my favorite art supply store, with the idea that I would use it for a "wallpaper" background.  A few days later, I collected a few items for a still life to experiment a bit.  Eventually switching to a stack of tea cups, I removed the flowers, books, etc.  In spite of the very busy patterns, I ended up with an image that I think has a good flow of shapes, lines and colors.  



I collect tea cups - although it's been a while since I've added to the collection.  I do love a good collection, and think I should seek out a few to photograph this spring.  Do you collect anything, or know of an unusual collection? 

Comments

  1. Very nice! I think the blurring of the background helps keep the patterns from being too busy together.

    I've collected hot air balloon items, Cherry Ames books, Stephen King books, miniatures for a printer's drawer, and antique oil/hurricane lamps, but I stopped all but the books. Oh, and milk glass, starting at age 15. But as I get older, I have thought about how difficult it will be for my daughter, as an only child, to go through all of our things when her dad and I die, or have to be placed in a nursing home.

    Some of the things, she will want, and some I'd like to save until the grandbaby gets older, if possible, in case she wants something from me. But with the current minimalism trend, and tiny house popularity, the younger people are not into collections any more, so I am slowly donating or gifting the things I can live without. I have six boxes of milk glass that I have no room to display, and hubby doesn't want to eat from, so I will sift through those, pick out my favorite pieces, and take the rest to a consignment store.

    Maybe I'll take photos of my collections, as you have, to remember them and to show my granddaughter, some day, who I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's beautiful! Very Well Done! I collect those little Halcyon boxes. Not sure how I would photograph them -- they wouldn't look good stacked LOL. And oh, how I can identify with what Stephanie said. I do so worry about burdening our children with our "stuff" - but, yet, I can't bear to part with it... what to do, what to do ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Random Review Friday: Knitting Boutiques

There are dozens of places to buy fabric and yarn these days - big craft chain stores, online, and the little boutiques. You can even recycle yarn and fabric by shopping at your local second-hand store. While I love the selection of shopping online, nothing beats the welcome of a friendly face, someone who can help you find just what you are looking for. I know where there are a few wonderful quilt shops, but being a new knitter, I haven't been to many yarn boutiques. I have begun to find that there are several in the Denver Metro area. Here are a few fun stops from the northwest area of town: Knit Knack 7505 Grandview Ave, Arvada , CO 80002 I first met Marly here, and this is our usual spot to meet up for picture days . Talk about great first impressions; this is the first knitting boutique I'd ever been to, and boy is it a good one! Owner Gerri has been a "capital K" Knitter for at least ten years. Gerri carries lots of Cascade, Berroco , and Classic Elite yarns, ...