Skip to main content

2021 :: a year for books


Like most of you, I've had to assess my priorities, goals and beliefs, over the past couple of years.  Let's keep it simple: some old online haunts and habits are being replaced with new ones.  I have added a couple of hundred books to my "read someday" list over the past couple years, and I think this year is a good place to spend some extra reading time.  

I received at least four books off my wish list for Christmas, and recently acquired another six or seven, second-hand.  

2021 finishes include 
    Super short, and the next step I felt I needed in my genealogy pursuits.  Essentially, it read like a text book on a topic I'm interested in.  There was good info, I need to put it into practice.

Disruptive Witness, by Alan Noble
     This book is about distraction of the current age, and sharing your beliefs in that climate; how important it is to actually be in church.  I know some churches are closed right now, and God can work anywhere, but it's important to do things in real life. That being said, I had a difficult time reading some sections.  It has compound thoughts and big words, and I had to really think through every sentence.  (Not surprisingly, the author is a college professor.)  

Mrs. Tim Carries On, by D. E. Stevenson
     My fourth D. E. Stevenson book, I enjoy her writing.  Her plots have a slow build and have realistic twists but I really enjoy her characters and the era, 1940s and WWII, which was contemporary to her.  I'll probably read several more of her books!  

Curtains for Three, by Rex Stout
     A small collection of short story mysteries, written in the 40s, 50s, 60s, which was contemporary for the author.  I like his characters, especially the narrator, sarcastic male secretary to an egotistical private detective.  Again, not my first Rex Stout book, and I enjoy reading them.  I like the simple scenery and smart characters.  

Borrower of the Night, by Elizabeth Peters
     It took me several chapters to get into this mystery but then I enjoyed it.  I found the main character feminist / defensive, and I don't know, I just didn't need that.  However, I did enjoy the plot.  Favorite author of a friend, so I picked it up with some other paperbacks at the local used book store.  

I did not start all these books in 2021, but did start them all in the last few months, and finished them in 2021.  What I'm currently reading includes the Bible, Memoirs of a Highland Lady, Upstairs at the Strand, and The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh.  Reading several books at once is not really my preferred method but, well, I am.  I read a chapter or two of the Bible almost every morning, and I actually finished the whole thing today!  Only took me a couple of years (!) but I will be starting it again tomorrow.  Memoirs of a Highland Lady is a lovely place to be these days, and I am enjoying reading that.  I noticed I have several memoirs on my big book list.  Hopefully I'll really enjoy this genre; I hadn't thought about it until I was going through my list.  The other two are easy to read a small section - a conversation or a letter.  

I'm holding on to the Alice Taylor book for March (it's set in rural Ireland).  I really enjoyed reading her Christmas book during the holidays.  The rest of the books in my picture...  hopefully I'll get to them all soon!  And the funny little leaves sticking up are new bookmarks, a Christmas gift.  

What are you reading?  What are your reading plans for 2021?  What books do you always find yourself recommending?

Comments

  1. I love having a stack of books ready to be read. I like that it allows me to pick and choose what to read next based on my mood. My son and I just finished reading Twain's The Prince and the Pauper. I'm not really sure how I had not read that book before. I really enjoyed it. Before that it was Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, as well as Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck. Now we are picking up a collection of Herman Melville stories. Reading with him has certainly broadened my selection of reading material. I don't think I would have picked up any of these books to read if I were to choose on my own.
    I tend to lean toward historical fiction or memoirs. For my personal reading, I did just finish a great book by an Oregon author. It detailed his two months of hiking across the state of Oregon (from southern most point to northeast most point...so diagonally in a way) in the mid-80s. It was fascinating to hear about his trip but to also learn more about the land, animals, plants and people he met along the way. My sister and I are reading through the Bible chronologically, with the goal to read it in a year. So far I am on track! But I realize that is not the point, it's more about spending time each day reading God's word. And lastly, I am listening to Northanger Abbey via the podcast CraftLit. I like how she sets up the chapters and provides additional information to help you understand the story/characters/author/time period better. It's like an English class for adults...without quizzes or assigned essays :)
    I have not read anything by Alice Taylor or DE Stevens, but they sound like authors worth checking out. I will have to see if I can check out any of their books at my library. And, Disruptive Witness seems like it would be a good, but challenging read as well. I love these kinds of posts. It's a great way to be exposed to new authors that I may not have come across.
    Have a great weekend,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE the name of your blog, and that glories picture of the books. i am not a reader, but i wish i were. i am going to forward this to my knitting teacher, leanne, she is a reader, i know she will appreciate these reviews. she is always looking for a good book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -