Skip to main content

garden plans, spring 2022



(a little diary of gardening for myself, and maybe you!)

Last year, we started seeds on March 18th.   

This year, we started seeds on February 27th for two primary reasons.  First, I realized last year that some seed packets recommended 8 to 10 weeks (or even 12 to 24 weeks) and we were a little past that.  Secondly, we had a pretty mild late spring, and could easily have gotten a few more weeks of growing on the front end for tomatoes and things, if I started things inside sooner.  We are three weeks ahead of last year and I think it's going to work out pretty well.  


Unfortunately, when I went to get all my old seeds and seed starting supplies, I discovered that every single packet had been nibbled on!  Most of the seeds were gone, those that were left were in jumble at the bottom of the box.  We suspect mice in the shed.  There were a couple of plastic baggies of seeds I had saved, and there were one or two packets with internal foil packets that had not been completely demolished.  Otherwise, everything I had from the past ten years was completely gone.  
Fortunately, the seeds I ordered last year, and what I've added over the last few months, were inside and unharmed!

Last year, we let our beds rest, mostly (the dill really seized on this opportunity) and we planted everything in pots.  I'm really looking forward to digging into the beds again this year!  

Things that went really well last year include:
-starting a bunch of seeds in one cell, via Jess at Roots and Refuge
-repotting seeds about four weeks to allow for growth and new soil/nutrients (also via Jess)
-basil, tomatoes, lettuce and pepper starts
-transplanting tomatoes deep (in soil) outside (also via Jess at R&R)
-it was nice to have very little to worry about, especially when we were out of town for a week


Problems last year: 
-squirrels getting into everything
-blossom end rot on tomatoes, especially the San Marzanos
-zucchini didn't grow well in pots after the first month or so
-none of the jack-be-little pumpkins turned orange - not even after picking!
-apparently everyone else that took some of my tomato plants ended up with lots of fruit, so... what did I do different? 
-I missed having peas

Neutral or unknown affect
-planting tomatoes with eggs (via Jess)
-taking down the garden fence - it did not keep out the squirrels, it was mainly for an older dog, and little boys with soccer balls; maybe it deterred the squirrels a bit?   

March 19th:
CUCUMBERS
Seeds started on Feb. 27th.  Two varieties - Chicago Pickling and Early Fortune; I also threw in a few old seeds I found, but they did not germinate at all.  The cucumbers were up and sprouted in 2 or 3 days!  They should start well in the garden; I started a few inside because I usually grow plant starts, and I will see which does better. I am planning to grow them on trellises.  There was 100% germination of the new seeds!  Roots were very quickly reaching out from the bottom, so I knew they needed to be repotted quickly.  When I repotted the cucumber starts at 2 weeks (Mar. 12th), I threw out the soil for the old seeds.  

If I had it to do over again, I would start these at the end of April, as they are taking up a lot of space and probably will be a bit in the way for the tomatoes.  Although, I am hoping to have plenty to make pickles!  

BASIL
The basil germinated very well, and I think I will start some more in May, when everything else is moved outside.  I find that I let my basil get long and woody too soon, so progressive planting may work really well.  

TOMATOES
Seeds started on Feb. 27th.  Varieties started:  Black Strawberry (cherry), Brandywine and Beefsteak (classic large), Martino's and San Marzano (sauce/roma).  I also found five seeds left in the bottom of an envelope that said Honeybunch - a cherry hybrid that I have previously loved, and saved!  The first seedling was up after four days, a few more at five, and many by two weeks.  I'm not sure how many seeds were started so not sure of specific germination.  The Honeybunch all germinated!  After two weeks, the roots are just starting to peek out from the bottom.  Whenever I next have time for repotting, I will do that, but it's going to be a tight squeeze under the grow lights.  

PEPPERS
Seeds started on Feb. 27th.  The peppers were the last to show.  I have started two sweet varieties - Txorixero and Criolla, and one hot - Cayenne Slim.  I am thinking about drying the cayenne to grind up.  We'll see in the fall.  Last year, I grew Leysa, and they were beautiful.  

PUMPKINS
Because of the seed massacre in my shed, my only pumpkins on hand were the seeds extracted from a jack-o-lantern purchase from a local market in October.  As I was paying for my goods, the lady checking me out commented on the pumpkin, "I hear they have great seeds!  At least, that's what I heard about last year's crop."  I decided to save a handful, and glad I did.  Those also germinated 100%.  I need to clear a spot for them to spread out in the garden.  

LAVENDER
I put two different varieties in the fridge in jars of water overnight, for stratification.  I recalled that worked well a year or two ago.  This year, it appears I have one of each coming up.  I'm not sure what went wrong, probably should have reinvestigated stratification before I started.  However, since they are perennial, they are always worth starting more.  

We also planted a line of snap peas, Carouby de Maussane, in the garden.  I don't expect to see them up before the end of April.  However, I'm pleased to see my bulbs - ornamental alliums, tulips, etc. peeking up in the yard, and my columbines and penstemon are fighting the snows-sun-snow pattern to greet the season!  

What are you planting this year? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -