Skip to main content

garden 2022 review, garden 2023 planning

January!  It's garden dreaming time.  A few pictures showing the progression of our garden over 2022: 

March

June
July 

Happily, I took panorama shots of the yard and gardens a few times last year.  I wish I had remembered to do it every month.  I did get many different wide shots of different spots, it's fun to see how everything progressed and changed.  The shots below get lower because once the tree above starts to fill in, it can block some of the view.  

March
May
July
August
September
October
Setting this up made me realize how late the marigolds set in; maybe I'll start a few more inside, this year.  

Wins and successes this year include:
- the seed starting was a big success!
- a decent batch of radishes
- lots of good herbs, my favorite being lemon thyme
- some tomatoes, especially liked the Black Strawberry cherry toms
- a small crop of potatoes, our first, encouraging toward doing more next season
- a few nice zucchinis
- lots of good lettuce
- pink (edible) pea flowers
- the cupcake cosmos
- pink thunbergia vine, grew well but not in the best place to enjoy
- dried some lavender, dried some lemon thyme
- many beautiful flowers, including a couple of mixed packets for pollinators, etc.

Some fails: 
- dismal pumpkins, both plants died before any fruit
- not nearly as many zucchinis, tomatoes or peas as previous year
- not nearly the basil crop we have had the last few years; I was hoping to make weekly pesto!  
- some lovely cucumber vines but never enough fruit to pickle
- bean plants - a few starts but not enough fruit for a meal
- our late summer beet crop was apparently too late and we had nothing but greens

Black Strawberry tomatoes
double columbines
pink dahlias
white cupcake cosmos from Johnny's Seeds

For Mother's Day, my boys dug a big potato patch in some pretty hard ground, at least half a day's work!  We turned it over, added some of our own compost, some we bought, and turned it over a few more times; dug trenches with big rows between for We bought two different kinds of potatoes, russet and Norland Red, and my youngest pulled a sprouting potato out of the pantry.  We cut them and put them in a south facing window to cure and sprout.  The only one that really had a decent set of eyes was the one from the pantry! but they all did have a bit before we planted them.  The one from the pantry did very well, the Norlands did really well and had light purple flowers  The russets had a few spuds but the big difference seemed to be which half of the patch got more sun.  


So for next year, we will be 1. starting earlier with the potatoes.  I am considering buying some in late February from the grocer's again, maybe just one or two.  2. Because it's better not to plant potatoes in the same bed in consecutive years, we are moving them to the regular garden area this year.  3.  The potato patch from last year is going to be a big pumpkin patch, hopefully!  The best pumpkin crop we ever had was back there, and shortly after that, we reseeded it with grass.  Because we're already moving some things, we're going to move a few other things, like the compost.  

I think I should pull back on the number of tomato plants because our use has changed and they take up a lot of space, but they are so fun to start and plant, so we'll see.  I watched a Joe Gardener video (very late in the process) about starting carrots, so hoping for a better beet and carrot crop this spring.  

I'm thinking about moving some old timers that perhaps would do better in a different spot. 

Looking forward to good things growing soon.  What are you planting this year?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -