Skip to main content

Go Rockies! (Next Year)

I am a big baseball fan, but after the heartbreak of the last World Series, I haven't watched as much this year. I know, I know; you could argue that the Rockies weren't really World-Series-worthy, and there is the home plate debacle, but come on. Not even one game? As the second game was winding up, our Yankee friends had the nerve to say, "Don't feel bad. Being first in your league is like being tenth in our league."

GASP! Nothing like kickin' a girl when she's down.
But I don't hold it against them. Really. I swear. And by the way, if that's true, I blame the DH.

I've known since early spring that there wasn't going to be a repeat League win for our team this year, and anyone could see that the Cubs were going to make it to the post season. Despite rooting against them at Coors Field this spring, I've been planning to root for them to go all the way. Wouldn't that be great if the Cubs played the White Sox in the World Series? If the Red Sox can overcome the
Bambino, isn't it time the Cubs overcame the goat? But the Cubs are down two games. Can they make it back?

While you ponder these deep mysteries, here is a baseball quilt for you.


I made it a few years ago for the first born of the aforementioned Yanks. They've done us many kindnesses over the years, and I wanted to make them a quilt. When I saw this MLB fabric, I bought a couple of yards. (I know what happens when you see the perfect fabric and don't buy it. And PS, I hear that the MLB is very stingy with is trademarks and copyrights. I guess that's why it is so hard to find MLB fabric.) It took me forever to find a compatible quilt pattern, and by then, they were expecting a little bundle of joy, so I made it his size.

It is a Trip Around the World with a Snowball in the center. It's a baseball diamond, get it? I used tickets (from the fabric) for all the American League teams, in order of year of affiliation, and then since the AL only has 14 teams, I had to add two NL teams. I added the Rockies (he was born in Colorado, after all) and the Mets, because being New Yorkers, the Mets rank above most other NL teams for them anyway. The other fabrics are red and blue, the NYY colors; personally, I would have said blue and gray, but BFJ said blue and red. Hmm. Well, it matches the NYY block, and if I did it wrong, they were kind enough to overlook it. Then, green for grass, woodgrain for the bats; hand-stitched lacing on the baseball. And finally, since I'm just tooting my little horn anyway, there is a label on the back with name and date, etc. but also who won The Series the year my little friend was born, and the Yankee team leaders of batting average, etc. Boy did I learn a lot about baseball that year, looking up all the AL teams, and so on. It really bolstered my interest in America's Game.

By the way, that is one of my own little munchkins holding the quilt. (I know, Matt, don't faint) and I have to smile every time I see this picture; what an outfit.

Now, pick a team and root for someone!

Comments

  1. Too cute, Karen! Here is a great link for sports fabric in case you want to make another http://www.bearpawquilting.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi
    They always have a hard to find Bunny in the Fab Shop Hop, so I've become very familiar with what they have (hee, hee). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how are those Yankees doing this year?? Hmmmm.... That's a little embarrassing

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I like the description of the label--very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -