Skip to main content

Magic Hour

I have been busy working on Christmas projects but I'll save details on that for later, so as not to miss out on the fun of Halloween.  (Matt and Jen, tune in next week!) 


Today was the first day in a long time for which we had no plans of any sort, and last night BFJ and I stayed up late and watched State of Play.  That was a much better movie than we were expecting.  At one point, we paused for a bathroom / snack break, and both commented on the constant tension.  So Mom, not one for you!  

This morning, we slept in.  Or tried to.  I do not understand how my kids can get up at 6:30 on Saturdays only.  BFJ spent the day doing yard work, including cleaning up all the leaves.  As soon as he was done and coming in for dinner, we had a huge gust that swept through the neighborhood, scattering leaves all over our yard!  What I "accomplished" today was minimal, but I did get some laundry done, and nothing was rushed. 

This evening, we enjoyed watching HGTV's Halloween Block Party.  What I like about Halloween is how (most) people are willing to suspend their low expectations for a day.  Suddenly I can be anything I want, and when I tell people at the office, at the store, what I am, they nod because of course I am.  They admire(?) me because I'm not too grown up to have some childish fun.  And just maybe, there is a little bit of something magical in the air.  Friday night, we'll be watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!  Now, it is at long last pumpkin carving time.  We told our children we would get that done today, and Speed has been asking, "How many hours are left in the day?" lest we forget.  I helped cut the top off of his pumpkin tonight and was smacked up side the face with the nostalgia of all my childhood years, that distinct smell of pumpkins which means one thing: jack-o-lanterns.  We are not all carving pumpkins now, though; one of us is blogging, and our little one conked right out on the couch before the magic hour arrived.  I was informed by Zoom this evening that he is old enough to do his by himself. 

In the coming week, we are planning to squeeze in some family time to make a haunted castle, a la Ann Wood.  If it turns out well, we'll post a picture! 

Comments

  1. It's just not right to mention the C-word before Halloween, so thank you for waiting a week to show us LOL. I haven't even thought about homemade gifts this year -- sadly, that's probably a good sign that there won't be many. Have fun making your haunted castle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get to work on the haunted castle--sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that HGTV special - gave me lots of ideas:) Halloween is a great holiday, so much fun. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I jumped right over to my Netflix Queue and added the movie, Karen! Can't wait to see what you do with an Ann Wood project - how fun!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Christmas knitting: slippers in 2020

I spent a couple of months this year on some Christmas presents, but as my family was all together at Thanksgiving, it was more fun to hand them out on Thanksgiving evening.  They were a big hit!   Last year, I made a couple pairs.  They turned out nice, but I realized they weren't going to be as quick as I'd hoped; I gave those to my mom and my aunt.  I worked the snowflake chart that came with the pattern on the first two pairs, but I didn't want to do it over and over again.  This year, I used my Pinterest board to find lots of inspiration for stranded knitting ideas.  Many snowflakes!  I wrote up a list of my people, what colors I thought they'd like, and an idea for the picture - and hunted down some shoe sizes!  The list made it a lot easier to keep track.  All the soles are different, too!  Eighteen pairs, and yes, I did block them all!  Project details  Basic pattern - Uppsala Slippers by Ram Wools Yarn Co-op Yarn...