Skip to main content

Christmas Top Ten

Ah; here we are, warming bellies by the fire. 



Sorry that's blurry, I didn't use a flash because I didn't want to alert them to my presence.  I'm working away on my last handmade Christmas gift, and my last batch of Christmas cards.  It's been snowing since last night, nice and Christmassy, and we've had a fire going this evening. 

What we ended up with for our last host/ess gift was homemade marshmallows.  BFJ made one batch that turned out like this: 



So he made another batch which luckily turned out like this (after cutting):


I am so excited to show you some of the gifts I've made but I guess I can wait a few more days.  I felted my first item this week.  That was nerve-wracking.  I don't know why I waited until the last minute to do that.  I didn't leave myself much margin for error but it turned out very nice. 


Thimbleanna posted her Top Ten favorite things about Christmas and I thought I would do the same, only a little different...

1.   Favorite smell:  fresh cut pine
2.   Favorite song:  Silent Night
3.   Favorite story:  the original
4.   Favorite movie:  White Christmas
5.   Actually I have more than one favorite movie:  A Charlie Brown Christmas
6.   Favorite memory:  being in the house by myself, lights off except for the Christmas lights, Christmas music playing.  (I grew up in the parsonage, so the adults were not far away.) 
7.   Favorite seasonal activity:  going downtown to see The Nutcracker or A Christmas Carol. 
8.   Favorite gift received: a dollhouse my grandpa made
9.   Favorite holiday food:  oh it's so hard to choose; chocolate cookies and green bean casserole (not together) are at the top
10. Favorite thing to do on Christmas:  sit and read/do a puzzle/stitch, by the fire

We're finally getting down to the point where we can start counting the hours instead of the days!  Finally.  I don't think I can keep explaining how many days left, how many days between, whether the white link on the chain is Christmas or Christmas Eve... 

Comments

  1. Sounds like you have the perfect holiday going. Looking forward to seeing the handmade gifts. I just have some buttons to sew on. A very merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marshmallows look like a fun thing to do, - when they turn out :)

    Merry Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. The marshmallows are odd-looking, but I'll bet they're good! Toast them by that fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that picture of the boys -- too, too cute! A fantastic top ten list -- I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Christmas knitting: slippers in 2020

I spent a couple of months this year on some Christmas presents, but as my family was all together at Thanksgiving, it was more fun to hand them out on Thanksgiving evening.  They were a big hit!   Last year, I made a couple pairs.  They turned out nice, but I realized they weren't going to be as quick as I'd hoped; I gave those to my mom and my aunt.  I worked the snowflake chart that came with the pattern on the first two pairs, but I didn't want to do it over and over again.  This year, I used my Pinterest board to find lots of inspiration for stranded knitting ideas.  Many snowflakes!  I wrote up a list of my people, what colors I thought they'd like, and an idea for the picture - and hunted down some shoe sizes!  The list made it a lot easier to keep track.  All the soles are different, too!  Eighteen pairs, and yes, I did block them all!  Project details  Basic pattern - Uppsala Slippers by Ram Wools Yarn Co-op Yarn...