Skip to main content

O Christmas Tree

Today, we went up to the mountains with Nana, Grandpa, two aunts, two uncles, two cousins, and cut down some Christmas trees.  The forest is full of pines and aspens but what I really wanted was a fir.  I had just about given up finding one when I heard my dear loving husband had spotted one and was awaiting my approval.  As I was headed toward him I heard the WHACK of the axe and knew the decision had been made.  He told me later that someone else was hovering, waiting to see if he was taking it, so he decided to give the man a definitive answer.  Luckily, it was the best tree; I guess he knew what I liked.  As we were loading up our many trees, several different people stopped in the road to ask us where the fir trees were.  It's a very slim tree, narrower than two of the boys at least!  Here's my little helper putting the gold bead garland on, and then all done.  When we were young newlyweds and didn't have a tree topper, BFJ suggested putting a bow on top and a ribbon around it, and we liked it so much we do it every year. 


When I was little, my brother and sister and I always got to sleep out under the Christmas tree the first year it was up.  This is the first year my boys have been big enough to do it!  (Boy, is there a lot of giggling coming from the living room tonight.) 

By the way, the US Forest Service provides this opportunity because it helps the forest.  The trees that remain have a better chance of growing stronger and healthier.  You really have to hunt for the right tree, though! 

Comments

  1. How fun! Your tree is beautiful. And what a cool tradition to sleep under the tree. I said to myself, I think I'll do that just for me and then I remembered we aren't going to get a real tree this year -- oh, boohoo. I'll have to remember to do it next year -- or hopefully you'll remind me LOL. I think it's a fantastice tradition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always inspiring me! We used to cut our Christmas tree before me moved away from Colorado,(we have been back about 3years after being away 14). Today is the last day to get a permit and if Greg can get out there before it closes we are going to get back into our old tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all slept by ours the first night...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Random Review Friday: Knitting Boutiques

There are dozens of places to buy fabric and yarn these days - big craft chain stores, online, and the little boutiques. You can even recycle yarn and fabric by shopping at your local second-hand store. While I love the selection of shopping online, nothing beats the welcome of a friendly face, someone who can help you find just what you are looking for. I know where there are a few wonderful quilt shops, but being a new knitter, I haven't been to many yarn boutiques. I have begun to find that there are several in the Denver Metro area. Here are a few fun stops from the northwest area of town: Knit Knack 7505 Grandview Ave, Arvada , CO 80002 I first met Marly here, and this is our usual spot to meet up for picture days . Talk about great first impressions; this is the first knitting boutique I'd ever been to, and boy is it a good one! Owner Gerri has been a "capital K" Knitter for at least ten years. Gerri carries lots of Cascade, Berroco , and Classic Elite yarns, ...