Skip to main content

lying low




If my blog comments are an indication, I'm not the only one who finds it is very difficult to "lie low" these days.  If we don't quickly reply to emails, texts, and have a passing understanding of the latest news, trends, scandals, etc., people get concerned.   It's as if there is a vacuum that holds us all against the lighted screens.  

Much to their dismay, people with my cell phone number can confirm that I often leave it at home!    Between editing pictures, writing patterns, and searching for genealogy clues, sitting at the computer is more challenging..  However, once I can pull myself far enough away from screens to focus on real things, priorities realign in a way that allows tight muscles to relax.  There's nothing revolutionary, but here's what works for me.  

-I turn off the sound on my cell phone, and leave it on a short wall where it can be plugged in to charge.  When it is silent, I can sometimes hear it buzz, but it isn't demanding.  I usually leave my phone there, and I seldom lose it.

-I check my email, but then I close the tab, window or app.  Sometimes I don't check it for several hours, and I log out of Facebook for days.  If I'm folding laundry, I'm folding laundry.  I have never had an emergency, dire or otherwise, that couldn't have been prevented with a little extra thinking, but would have been prevented if I answered after the first ding.  Sometimes I watch Netflix while I do menial tasks; sometimes I read a digital pattern, but everything with alerts is off.  I read paper books; no interrupting alerts!

-I'm using Instagram differently.  I go to IG to kill time.  I.e. when I'm waiting for a kid in the car or at the dentist.  I like to see my favorite decorators, knitters and quilters have new posts; it makes it more entertaining to wait a little longer than I expected to.  I have other time and sources for getting twisted up about social issues and world crises, so I have changed who I follow on Instagram. 


-One routine I'm getting back to is planning meals ahead.  When I go to the store once in one or two weeks I get more out of my time and money, and I avoid the desperation of buying fast food.  Eating dinner as a family, sitting at the table, maximizes the time we have to spend together.  The difference in my own state of mind, and the people around me, is obvious.  Already having the food in the house means I can ensure that happens.  Writing the menu on a little chalk board means ingredients don't get snacked on and there is less complaining about tonight's dinner when my kids can see that their favorite meals are coming up.  Knowing what I'm going to do for dinner also makes it easier to invite guests.

-Having written goals gives me the opportunity to be intentional about how I spend my time.  I have to revisit them regularly but seeing what I'm working toward makes it easier for me to let go of the less important opportunities.

-I put things on my calendar that I really want to do, instead of keeping them on my mental list.


-Probably the most challenging thing for me is committing to daily or weekly routines, and committing to saying no to hot or sudden opportunities.  Dates have popped up in my email, like photo meet-ups for this weekend - reply now!  I would enjoy the artistic process but it may come with self-doubt, group snark, or an inconvenient time/location.  Sometimes it is worth the trade-off, but I have already decided, not this month.  I have already committed to, paid for, am responsible for, and enjoy plenty of amazing things - like my own blog.  Saying no immediately to superfluous opportunities allows room for people and relationships, since when I see a friend in need, there is often space for people.  I can see in the attitudes of my husband and kids that me leaving this space in my calendar makes it much easier for the whole household to work better.

This week, I committed to a lot more barre.  I sleep so much better when I move and stretch!  When I'm there, I think about the pain of planks, and my mind gets a much-needed reset from other people's problems.  I meant to type 'rest' but actually, 'reset' also works.  

I avoid what I can in the evenings from other people's agendas, and try to spend more time at home, because it's cold, and it's dinner time!  It's not always possible, but it's more possible when I make an effort.

-I would be remiss if I didn't mention, I pray a lot.  Not as much as my grandma, but more and more.  If something is really weighing on me, there is no better solution than to get down on my knees. 



On the craft front, I spent some time at the end of December and beginning of January to sort out some projects that are ready for next steps - sweater quantity of yarn, a stack of flannel and denim squares ready to be sewn into a throw quilt.  It will have to be done again, but it's easier to grab things for a knitting meet-up, now.  The things I have committed to knit on commission are all relatively easy without hard deadlines. In the fall, I may be excited for some fancy projects; for now, I'm keeping my fingers nimble and my mind restful. 

A new-ish friend with a super cute house agreed to come over and walk through my house with me.  She was pretty ruthless in pointing out things I'm not using, not using well, don't need or don't fit the aesthetic I presented at the beginning.  She was right about almost all of it.  I have some work to do.  I have a lot of things in my house that no longer belong here, and many fun things that are waiting to be used, finished, shared.

Alright.  I hope this post is helpful and gives you some ideas to make your own life flow along under the current of today's angry mobs and super-viruses.  (There were also questions about the blanket I'm knitting.  I'll write more about that in another post; this one is already pretty long!)  If you have suggestions or ways that you simplify, I would love to hear them!

Comments

  1. Hmmm, very interesting! I'm glad this is working for you! I'm trying to look at our home the way your new friend did yours and I have given some things away -- someone else might make much better use of them. A long way to go. But it's great to get started! Keep up with your good intentions! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hunkering down a bit more lately and doing some purging of boxes of who knows what that have been taking up space in our basement since moving here in 2010. I figured if I haven't used it in that amount of time then I definitely won't ever use it again. So we tackled it and looking in each box I sure didn't have a hard time saying to my husband (who was bringing them upstairs to the garage) okay this box can go. I did save some items and those items all fit nicely into one medium sized box. :) I've been trying to unplug from social media more these days, tho like you I do enjoy Instagram a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Karen! I love all of your tips! I've always done plan ahead meal planning -- I've always wondered how people survive without it LOL. I need to commit to written goals though. I've done so in the past and it always helps - I think maybe it's hard for me to write things down though 'cause if they don't get done, I feel guilty. I was looking some of my old posts though and I had a summer where I wrote down 10 things to do by the end of summer and I remember I really enjoyed working toward those goals -- and I got a lot done that year. I've definitely slowed down on social media too -- it's fun and provides immense inspiration, but it's also such a time suck. Thanks for an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -