Skip to main content

knitting : Reclamation Blanket

Reclaiming some remnants of my former life at a yarn shop.
Reclaiming the original meaning of a rainbow - a divine Promise, not human pride.
Reclaiming the joy I found once in knitting.




When my local yarn shop closed, one of the things I inherited was a plethora of small-yardage color samples.  I didn't know what I would possibly do with them.  Fair isle came up several times; that would have been lovely but I didn't want the planning, especially when the yardage was inconsistent.  So I put it in a bag. 

Skip to 2017, I was working on this Koigu Oriental Jacket (below) and the construction struck me as something that would work well with the bits of yarn.


For this blanket, every square starts with a new color and when that runs out, I finish it with black.  For the black, I started with half a skein of Cascade Heritage Silk in solid black.  I wish I had sought out more of it to do the whole blanket.  I found some blackish sock yarns, which turned out not to be quite as solid.  However, this blanket has errors and late-made decisions, colors "out of order," and so on.  Some of the yarns are joined in the middle of the row!  It's a low-stress, loose-rule project, and my family will enjoy using it.  It's considerably less planned than most of my other projects.  Sometimes I need that.  It traveled well to knitting get-togethers in a big bag that zips.

Reclamation Blanket instructions
Yardage: unknown quantities of sock / fingering weight.  I’d guess about 1200 yds black (control color) and 1200 - 1400 yds of color "scraps". 
Needles:  US 3; straights work just fine, there will never be more than 43 sts on the needle
Guage: no idea! 
Finished size: about 52" x 55"

BLOCK Instruction
With color A yarn, CO 43 sts.  Work in garter stitch as follows: 
Row 1 WS: sl 1, k19, cdd, k20.
R2 RS:  sl 1, k to end.
R3: k one less than previous WS row to middle, cdd, k to end.
Repeat the last two rows until yarn A is gone. 

Join black yarn (or whatever your control color is) and begin working in Stockinette stitch as follows:
WS:  sl 1, p to center three sts, cdd, p to end.
RS:  knit.
Continue until 5 sts remain.
Next RS: sl 1, cdd, k1.
WS:  cdd.
Break yarn and pull through last stitch.

BLANKET Construction:
Row 1: Make 1 block per BLOCK instructions.
For 2nd and following blocks: to join next square with left CO edge of new block attached to work, CO 22 sts and with RS facing, pick up 21 along edge of last block.  Work Block.  Repeat until desired there are the desired number of blocks for width of blanket. Example is 14.    

Row 2, 1st block:  to join next square with left edge of new block attached to work, CO 22 sts and pick up 21 along edge of last block. Work Block.
For interior blocks (2nd and following in the row): for left facing blocks, pick up 21 sts from edge of block just worked.  Pick up 1 st from block diagonal from the block being cast on.  Pick up 21 sts from row below block being cast on.

Row 3:  1st block:  to join next square with right edge of new block attached to work, pick up 21 sts along edge of last block, then CO 22 sts using knitted cast on or backward loop method.  Work Block. 
For interior blocks:  for right facing blocks, pick up sts from row below, then corner st, then from last block worked.

I started with 14 blocks in the first row, and worked an additional 12 rows of 14, for a total of 182 blocks.  When I finished the second row, I wove in the ends for the first row, and so on.  I always recommend blocking, and it will make a difference in the size and texture of this blanket!  To block, lay on bed or other flat surface and give a little tug along the edges; allow to dry.  I did not block this severely, or use any pins to make it square; low stress.  I may add a black crochet edge. 

Variations:  a few blocks are striped where my yarn broke; a few blocks are completely garter stitch, a few blocks have much more yardage of the color, a few blocks have no black at all!  One block is backward.  Why does that pink and blue block stand out so much?  Who cares!  You could make one and decide it's not for you, that you love it, or make some tweaks.  Whatever; knitting is good therapy and should be fun!  Enjoy.  

Abbreviations:
CDD - center double decrease
CO - cast on
k - knit
p - purl
RS - right side
sts - stitches
WS - wrong side

Comments

  1. It's beautiful Karen! What a ton of work too -- Congratulations on a great finish. (And I love your rainbow comment!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see your beautiful Reclamation Blanket today. It is much finer yarn than I expected, a lighter weight blanket that will be great for summer. Very special way to use that yarn -- you never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -