Skip to main content

Looking Back, Looking Forward...

Today is my wedding anniversary! I have a date later...

One of the things I usually end up doing on my anniversary is taking down the Christmas tree and decorations. Specifically, the tree. (And now, new blog header!) I just like to start the new year with a clean(-ish) house, instead of a project to clean up from last year. This one will be no different, as we awoke to a CRASH! in the living room. Several of our favorite ornaments were broken, including the first one I ever gave BFJ. But that does not define our relationship, so it's time to clean up and move on.

There are many elements of my year (every year) that could keep it from being my personal favorite year, but in my marriage, every year has gotten better. Some years more than others; this year has been a good year. Now, on to the next!

Another thing I am looking forward to is new plantings in the Spring. I mean, how can I help it when I get new seed catalogs every day? BFJ accused me of ordering them, but you know I didn't. All you have to do is purchase one item out of one catalog, and they spread the word that you might spend money. I can imagine where all the flowers are going, I can't imagine where all the vegetables should go. I do have a veggie garden area from last year, but I don't think it had enough sun.
And somehow, I would love to get rid of this view, cover it up with something green and lovely:

Orange plastic wicker just doesn't cut it for me. And don't get me started on the faded yellow birdfeeders! That is a lilac bush on my side of the fence, which my mother-in-law gave me two years ago for this purpose, but there's only so much one bush can do!

Comments

  1. Happy Anniversary. Guess you won't be at knitting tonight since you have a date. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You celcbrate today with my son and his wife. They are celebrating #14! Have a great date! Have fun! And many more to come.
    Minniestitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Karen - and such a nice thing to say about the ornaments and also each year getting better - wonderful, isn't it!
    I've been aching to order out of all my new seed catalogs, but we won't be in this house for planting this year and it will be too late for much planting by the time we get to the Squash House, so I'm drooling and folder over corners on favorite pages!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!! Hope the date was delicious!

    Yep, when those seed catalogs start rolling in, I'm ready for winter to be over--even if it's less than 2 weeks old!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Please be sure to LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (if it isn't included in your profile) so that I may respond to you. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jovi Mittens : knitting with qiviut

In February, I published a mitten pattern with  Windy Valley Muskox .  It takes about 1 1/2 skeins of this fabulous yarn so you'll have to buy two.  Of course, you could make the cuffs longer!  I'm thinking I need a version with fingers (aka gloves).  It's on the back burner, for the moment.   In the meantime, let me tell you how lovely it is to work with qiviut!  It is one of the softest fibers, definitely the lightest, and so warm for the weight; it's best as a light layer under others, and luxurious close to the skin.  Sometimes, people misunderstand and think that qiviut comes from the inside coat (I'm not sure how to imagine that), or the underbelly of the muskox; that's because it is often described as the "under coat."  What this actually means is that it's the down layer, and grows during the cold months, closer to the skin, all over the animal; it's like down feathers on a duck.  I worked for WVM for several yea...

garden panos from 2023

 Last year, I made some effort (not thoroughly successful) to capture state-of-the-garden pictures every month, including panoramas stitched together on Photoshop, in order to get the whole view of what's happening.  So here's a little recap of the garden in 2023! early March April May June August It appears that I missed July, and either didn't take or didn't save this project in September, although we didn't have a killing frost very late into the season - we were still harvesting a few things in October.  As much as I loved the lettuce that was growing in the tunnel, and getting an early start on a few things, I'm not a fan of plastic anywhere, especially in my garden, so I am looking at options - cold boxes with old windows, etc.  I'm planning to start my 2024 garden this month - pea planting, planning, and seed starting in March!  What are you planting?  

Random Review Friday: Knitting Boutiques

There are dozens of places to buy fabric and yarn these days - big craft chain stores, online, and the little boutiques. You can even recycle yarn and fabric by shopping at your local second-hand store. While I love the selection of shopping online, nothing beats the welcome of a friendly face, someone who can help you find just what you are looking for. I know where there are a few wonderful quilt shops, but being a new knitter, I haven't been to many yarn boutiques. I have begun to find that there are several in the Denver Metro area. Here are a few fun stops from the northwest area of town: Knit Knack 7505 Grandview Ave, Arvada , CO 80002 I first met Marly here, and this is our usual spot to meet up for picture days . Talk about great first impressions; this is the first knitting boutique I'd ever been to, and boy is it a good one! Owner Gerri has been a "capital K" Knitter for at least ten years. Gerri carries lots of Cascade, Berroco , and Classic Elite yarns, ...